The Hurricane Resource Center, managed by the City of Chicago’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications and the Department of Family and Support Services, opened Thursday, November 2, 2017 in the Humboldt Park Field House at 1400 N. Sacramento Ave and closed Phase 1 of services on May 1, 2018. The multi-agency center served as a one-stop shop for 2,140 evacuees over 35 days of operation.
- Services at the center included:
- Access to City services
- Enrollment in school programs from early childhood through adult education
- Access to food and clothing through social services
- Medical needs support
- Housing information
- Workforce opportunities
- Access to social security services, and
- Access to FEMA
Services will continue to take place through Department of Family and Support Services. Evacuees can still access services by:
- Calling 311 or if outside Chicago 312-744-5000
- Calling (312-744-2014) or visiting Trina Davila City Service Center (4300 West North Ave) during regular business hours (Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM).
The Virtual Resource Center will remain active and updated as needed
Federal Information Overview
- Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA) has been APPROVED by FEMA through April 20, 2018
- Eligibility Criteria
- Please visit: https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/10/30/4339/transitional-sheltering-assistance-available-residents-puerto-rico-displaced
- Disaster Assistance applicants who are in the Continental United States are eligible
- How to sign up
- Call centers are open daily from 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Central Time) for those seeking assistance
- Computers are available at the Hurricane Resource Center to sign up for assistance
- FEMA Overview of Assistance Link: https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/10/30/4339/housing-resources-residents-puerto-rico-displaced-hurricanes-irma-and-maria
- This link provides an overview of all services provided by FEMA once applicants apply to www.disasterassistance.gov
- Transitional Shelter Assistance (TSA) Information:
- To find a hotel, links are identified below.
- It is important for anyone participating in the program to ensure eligibility through www.disasterassistance.gov and contact hotels to ensure participation in the FEMA-TSA program.
- Contact FEMA directly for any questions.
- Transitional Shelter Assistance Hotel List: http://www.femaevachotels.com/index.php
- Please call ahead to hotels to ensure they are participating in the FEMA – TSA Program